Sorry to disappoint but you're not going to get some highbrow discourse on The Canterbury Tales from me....others far more learned have already got that covered. Instead carved faces from Canterbury. To my mind these put me in mind of the pilgrims so brilliantly described by Chaucer and I can see echoes of them in Hogarth, the wonderful 18th century cartoons lampooning the "good and the great" of the day, The Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland and more lately the Spitting Image puppets. I feel that they were there to amuse but it's only my pet theory....for all I know they may have been issuing a serious moral message. It will have to remain a mystery.
The Wife of Bath perhaps?
This figure could have graced the cover of Punch in its heyday.
The devil with lady bumps really?! Not sure whether this is misogynist in the extreme or taking the proverbial out of Satan. Whichever it is I enjoyed the visual comedy of the pieces.
Arilx
The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Decisions, decisions.
Now that's what I call a sign. If you're wondering we plumped for a spot of lunch at the Partridge in Singleton after completing our...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...




Surely they're moobs?! x
ReplyDeleteI think you could be right there....hadn't thought of that possibility!
ReplyDeleteArilx