The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Tuesday, 20 September 2016
Witch Child
A book bought on impulse for 50 pennies from a local charity shop. Having been to Salem years ago and studied Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" for the American studies element of my degree, anything to do with the witch trials is of enormous interest.
Without giving too much away, it's a diary of a young girl who has been raised by her wisewoman grandmother. She falls victim to the fate suffered by those who came to the attention of the witch finders and so to stop history from repeating itself, Mary takes on the guise of a Puritan pilgrim and escapes to America to start her new life.
Although, I wasn't familiar with the book it is cleverly crafted and very absorbing. I particularly like the double bluff Celia Rees creates to keep you guessing about whether you are reading a fiction or fact based book.
Arilx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Recommendation
We were chatting about upcoming hols with some Mythago friends and when I mentioned Anglesey they suggested a nearby NT property which I had...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...

No comments:
Post a Comment