Wednesday 11 March 2020

Spolia

I am rather dithery today about deciding what I want to write about so instead I shall take the easy way out and share my newest word. "Spolia" is the term used for incorporating old fragments of stonework into newer buildings. Little did I realise that this is what I was photographing at Winchester cathedral a few months ago. There's a lot of this sort of thing seen in churches especially.






If I can get my act together I will endeavour to show you some more of my visit to London tomorrow!

Arilx

3 comments:

  1. I love the interesting pieces on the bricks. I love the fact that how artistic they were in times past.

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new word to me too, and not mentioned in the 100 churches book even though lots of churches use bits from earlier buildings

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit of reusing going on there. What a strange word.

    ReplyDelete

What Aloicious Did Next

 After laying low for a few months Horsham's spoof artist Aloicious Shaftspole has been up to his tricks again. A 'what three words&...