In the current economic climate a lot of us have been through redundancy and the resulting need to prove your ability and update your skills to succeed in job hunting.
In previous times the phrase showing your mettle was used more literally rather than the figurative application we are more familiar with today:
To keep their millstones in tip top condition and working effectively, millers were reliant upon the services of a mason to recut the grooves. Whilst doing so bits of the metal would chip off the chisel and become embedded in the mason's hands. To show his experience the mason would show the miller this metal in his hands.
Arilx
The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Thursday, 27 June 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Goosed
29th September is Michaelmas and was once the traditional day for hosting a goose fair. It also happened to be my birthday and this old goos...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...
No comments:
Post a Comment