Friday 8 August 2014

Margot


Margot Leadbetter, she of "The Good Life" fame gawd bless 'er. I strongly suspect that I have more than a little of the Margot about me at times. I am very much Captain Sensible and only a measured risk taker. I deal with change well when it's one I've instigated but not when it's foisted upon me and as for spontaneity forget it. I have to have time to think things through before I can make a decision although that doesn't necessarily make me a ditherer either. I used to desperately want to be a free spirit but over time I've come to accept how I am and realise that being sensible does not mean you have to be without an individual streak or a sense of naughty fun.

Referring to this type of personality as "straightlaced" always puts me in mind of a dullard. It was fascinating to learn from Toni Mount [a fascinating speaker and historical author] at the weekend how this phrase came into our every day usage. Prior to buttons becoming common medieval clothing was laced. Those with money had their lacing at the back of their garments as this demonstrated to the hoi polloi that they had no need to waste their precious time in the completion of such mundane tasks when they could afford minions to do it for them. The more everyday folk had lacing in the front of their clothes. The type of lacing chosen said a lot about the individual's standing in the morality stakes. Those "ladies" who earnt their groats in a "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" fashion favoured the cross over lacing as it sped up the removal of dresses whilst conducting their nightly business whilst a respectable wife would opt for the straight lacing opting instead.

I never tire of hearing how our use of language developed.

Arilx


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Aloicious Did Next

 After laying low for a few months Horsham's spoof artist Aloicious Shaftspole has been up to his tricks again. A 'what three words&...