Tuesday 12 August 2014

Handbags

Now I have absolutely no love for a sensible handbag. The last time I briefly owned one was when I had to go to big girl interviews after I was made redundant. After a couple I remembered why I loathed working in the corporate world and had fled it back in 1996. Hence why I am now a self employed house sparkler. Needless to say the pinstriped jacket and skirt and said bag were soon returned to the charity shop from whence they came. Now show me a bag with an owl on it or bling......

Well that's a whole different story. I think I must have been a magpie in a former life. Not because I steal things I hasten to add but because I am always drawn by colour, sparkles, texture so over the years I have amassed a rather gorgeous collection of bags which meet this criteria. All were gifts or bought either from charity shops or in the sales. I haven't bought one in a long time as I've run out of space to display them [I do use them from time to time]...yes you read right I hang them up. Some cover an offendingly groovy dull but functional banister whereas others fill a lovely set of fretted shelves which Mr GBT made in the dim and distant past.


No china figurines for this dame despite that being the suggestion of my dear Auntie gawd bless her!

Now have you ever wondered why we don't call these shoulder bags for we rarely carry them in our hands do we? During the middle ages women and children had various duties to perform post battle and one of these was counting up the number of dead. Rather than drag a whole cadaver back to the camp they would cut off the right hand of each victim. At that time everyone was taught to fight with their right hand which is why we still shake right hands today...originally this was to stop someone from being able to stab you with a dagger. These hands were put into a sack which was then emptied so the removed limbs could be counted...hence the name we use today. Be grateful the  next time you rummage around in the depths of that huge nosebag you lug around with you that it's only the kitchen sink and not a severed hand you're likely to find. Many thanks to the medieval peddler for this somewhat gruesome historical snippet!

Arilx





No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzling

Being a soul who could win an Olympic Gold if overthinking was ever included as a sport, one thing which really helps me to slow down and be...