Monday 21 August 2017

Red & Blue Monday

Unusually for me I haven't strayed far from home this weekend. Other than out to the village up the road for supper with friends on Saturday, everything's been done on good old Shank's Pony. However, as is usual for me, I didn't stay in the whole time...instead I decided to see what delights our little town had to offer us for my favourite price of free! A walk led by the Horsham Society allowed me to make some new historical discoveries [photos in a later post basically when I go back out and take 'em!] yesterday and a nose around our museum on Saturday.

Horsham Museum is a good 'un. It's like a tardis...it looks small from the outside, but goes back a loooong way once you get inside. It has an imaginative rolling programme of up to three exhibitions running at any time and many of them are of personal interest to me. They might be only single room jobbies, but they are packed with info.

Downstairs they're currently showing antique bears. There's something just so much more endearing about the older ones. There's a charm to them I don't find in their brasher, cutsier modern day counterparts.

I took lots of images, but this one stood out especially because of the colour. From the info provided a red ted is unusual.


My other intended quarry was the current "Blue Moon" clothing display....it's a personal favourite colour of mine and I really appreciated the gorgeous hit of it in all its variations. I was fascinated to learn that "feeling blue" derives from the sailing ships. When a captain died at sea a blue flag was flown on the return to port.




Arilx

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so too. He really stood out for me.
      Arilx

      Delete
  2. Oh I love days out like this.In fact,i visited the museum in my town last week,I used to take the grandkids there when they were little,but its different when you go alone cause you can take more time to look at each thing!I loved looking at the art and reading the background to each picture,in fact i bought a postcard of one of the paintings...called,A Woman in a Cafe and put it in a frame in my kitchen........Along with all the other wierd and wonderfull things that hang there,lol.So i did end up spending 65p but it was worth it!,Debi,Leic,x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everytime I go to our museum I make a new discovery and this time was no exception. I expect there will be another blog post soon!
      Arilx

      Delete
  3. I love old bears, too. They look so much more real, don't they?
    What a stunning array of blue dresses. My favourite colour, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dresses were very eye catching and struggling with the lighting and glass means that I haven't really done them justice!
      Arilx

      Delete

What Aloicious Did Next

 After laying low for a few months Horsham's spoof artist Aloicious Shaftspole has been up to his tricks again. A 'what three words&...