Thursday 29 March 2018

At last!

Years ago I noticed a white house with a quotation painted in black on the far end wall. The issue has been that it's just set back off a stretch of dual carriageway on the way to Dorking and I'm in the car so no chance of finding out what it says as we whizz past. Everytime I see it I promise myself that one day I will stop and find out. This time I had planned ahead and my Mum very kindly pulled off and parked up to allow me to go and put this one to bed. It's become very hard to read now behind the tall trees in front of it, but with a bit of cocking my head on one side and squinting through branches I was able to decipher it.

"Let others tell of storms and showers,
I tell of sunny morning hours"

When I looked closer I realised that there's a huge sundial painted to one side of it and seen in this context suddenly this charming quote makes more sense. Since coming home I've found out that the property is actually called The Sundial Cottage and was built in 1903 as a place for working class London girls to have a break in the clean air. Although you can clearly see the detail from the other side of the low fence on the public path, I felt it would be invading the owner's privacy to take a photo, but I hoped you might appreciate the sentiment of the words.

Here's hoping for a Thursday of "sunny morning hours"!

Arilx

6 comments:

  1. I would love to see that house.As you know,I love things with a bit of history to them.No chance of sun here in the Mids today.There was frost on the car this morning,bitterly cold and now were on our second lot of rain.I managed to get to the market to get some fruit before getting soaked!,Oh well,..Happy Easter!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed the sunny morning hours...only to hang washing out in the storms and showers! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sun here either...just rain and very chilly!
      Arilx

      Delete
  3. That sounds a wonderful house to see! I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to have finally solved the mystery!
      Arilx

      Delete

Marching on

 Well March is being a bit of a madam isn't she. One minute she's teasing us with blue skies and a sun with some warmth in it and th...