Friday 23 March 2018

The Boat Race


I am happy to put my hands up and freely admit that is definitely not one of the more exciting photos I've shared here. Bear with me though for I haven't lost my marbles [believe you me they were lost long ago!!]...whilst Charles Merivale might have once been the Dean of Ely Cathedral, I was much more interested to discover that he and his friend were the ones behind the foundation of the Boat Race in 1829. He was a Cambridge rower and his partner in crime, a rower for the opposition. Both participated in the inaugural race which Oxford won.  Tomorrow the two universities will square up against each other once again. We don't actively follow it, but I'm guessing, that as a former Cambridge chap, Mr GBT would prefer it if Oxford didn't repeat last year's triumph😊

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not bog standard.

Look at these beautiful cast iron panels. The design is called 'Floral Adamish' and is one of three which the company Walter Macfarl...