Sunday 11 August 2013

A fanatic is one who won't change the subject....

Or to quote Winston Churchill fully
" A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject".

Well that's just about summed me up....yes I am back to one of my favourite topics again...the greenman and naturally I am not in the least bit repentant! If someone is daft enough to allow me to cross their county border then it is inevitable that I will go out and search some of the little chaps out. The lady at Lincoln cathedral even kindly let us take a photo of her map to show where they were located- 17 in all. Even I know that to ask my family to look for all 17 is bordering on obsession so these are the ones we located fairly easily....




Oh yes and then there was this one in St Chads, Harpswell where we were staying. We paid a visit there on the first afternoon as it was just across the way- Mr GBT and I discussed whether we should take the camera but decided perhaps we should as there may be something of note. There were some goodish gargoyles but alas no greenmen....or so I thought. Flicking through the cottage info when we got back, I was stunned to find that there is a fairly robust example on the base of the plinth of the tomb of William Harrington who was a 14th century rector of the church. I should point out this was the only tomb in the church and I had stood right next to it, but with my wonderful powers of observation having wandered off in search of a bun I had managed to completely miss it. Naturally we went back the next day and made amends.....

It does pay to be a nosy old bat sometimes!

Arilx



No comments:

Post a Comment

What Aloicious Did Next

 After laying low for a few months Horsham's spoof artist Aloicious Shaftspole has been up to his tricks again. A 'what three words&...