Thankfully not necessary in this household as the small person is, by far and large, a fairly easy going teenager [just the odd moment now and again].
The word curfew originates from the French couvre feus. In the medieval kitchens labourers were hired to chop and cart wood, turn spits, churn butter or draw water. They may have slept on the kitchen floor but the rooms cooled fast because Norman law dictated that all embers had to be covered at night. The circular pottery dish in the centre of the photo is actually a replica curfew lid used to extinguish the fires which we saw on our recent visit to the Old Hall in Gainsborough.
Arilx
The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Madfabulous
It was a bit of an overcast rainy day [not surprising really as we were in Wales which is renowned for it] when we paid Plas Newydd House a ...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...

No comments:
Post a Comment