Sunday 29 September 2013

Devil Spits Day

Michaelmas daisies
A favourite of mine, although the ones in my garden are still huffing and puffing about having been moved a few weeks ago so are sulkily refusing to bloom right now!

The Michaelmas Daisies among dede wedes,
Bloom for St Michael's valorous deeds.
And seems the last of the flowers that stood
Till the feast of St Simon and St Jude [28th October]

I stumbled across a lovely sounding menu to celebrate Michaelmas today
Stuffed Michaelmas Goose with Roast Apples
Fragrant Spiced Red Cabbage
Goose Fat Roasties
Hot Baked Wardens [baked pears]
Michaelmas Dumplings
Further details are here http://www.karenbooth.co.uk/articles/15-michaelmas-goose-day-or-devil-spits-day.html

I myself will not be eating goose nor will I be eating blackberries [not if the rumours are to be believed that the devil has spat on them or even worse....!] I shall however, be wearing a birthday suit- the origin of this is from the time when courtiers had to wear special clothes to mark the sovereign's birthday.....beneath my tatters and mask. Yes I am doing what I love best- dancing today :-). The only definite in today's proceedings is that I shall be a year older but not a year wiser!

Arilx

P.S. I am a little disconcerted to find that Google has wished me a Happy Birthday today- I think it must be linked to my google account!

1 comment:

Good Friday

 Hope everyone has a good Easter break. I saw this massive pug shaped egg on one of my recent forays and the utter ridiculousness of it just...