I am rather a big fan of the Arts and Crafts movement. One aspect I particularly like was the return to honest, traditional workmanship- often the pieces were sophisticated but others were to say the least a little rustic...one reviewer in 1899 referred to it as " the work of a savage". I am surmising that possibly he wasn't overly keen then perhaps?!
This stool is a family piece. I remember it in my Nana's house as a child and now my parents own it. My Dad doesn't know a great deal about it except that it was made by a family member and it's cedar. The family story is that the wood originally came from a WWI plane's propeller. I can't authenticate it but it makes a good tale. I just love its simplicity.
Arilx
The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Goosed
29th September is Michaelmas and was once the traditional day for hosting a goose fair. It also happened to be my birthday and this old goos...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...

No comments:
Post a Comment