Monday 26 November 2018

The Devil's Chair


Mr GBT took a photo of this Tudor chair now housed in Michelham Priory back in 2014. At the time its malevolent looking carved arms intrigued me, but I didn't know anything further about it. Fast forward to 2018 and I've recently learnt that it's called the Devil's Chair and it came from Friston church originally. There is a surprisingly jovial devil carved onto the seat [didn't notice it back then, but this blog has it on http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2012/07/michelham-priory.html], but it was truly believed that if you sat on it the devil would enter you through the chair. Whilst at one level it seems a comical idea, it was, I suspect, a truly terrifying prospect at the time.

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

The cityscape

 From my all too short time spent in Birmingham my impressions are that this city does Victorian and Modern architecture fabulously. If you&...