The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Tuesday, 19 November 2013
Baker's Dozen
Originating from when the Baker's Guild enforced a 'bread assize' within a two mile radius of the city of London. The Guild weighed the bread to check for underweight loaves or to detect those who adulterated the flour with sand or sawdust. If caught, the punishment was being dragged around the dirtiest streets on a hurdle with the offending bread hung around your neck. For a second offence you spent an hour in the pillory and for a third your oven was destroyed and you were no longer allowed to bake. Bakers became so fearful of giving a short weight that they would provide a small extra piece of bread with each loaf to ensure that no shortfall occurred. Therefore, if you ordered a dozen loaves you would receive another one free.
[From Nigel Cawthorne, The Strange Laws of Old England]
Arilx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hannah the Giant
Went to my first day of dance in Carshalton [which I didn't see much of beyond the pubs!] a few days ago. My single photo was of this 3....
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...

No comments:
Post a Comment