Saturday 1 November 2014

Sauntering Round Eslindone Part One.

It is thought that "Eslindone" may possibly mean "sloping hill" in Old English and it is how the Sussex village of Slindon was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086.

As I previously alluded to in my pumpkin related postlet, by and large Slindon is an exceedingly picturesque haven for 51 weeks of the year, but for one week in October chaos descends as the masses invade. As for many other villages, it has suffered from the withdrawal of services over the last few years losing both its post office and pub, but thankfully it is fighting back and I was delighted to see that a well supported community shop cum cafe has opened in the old forge since my last snooping around.


This is the Millennium village sign which was donated by the Pudding Club [I can't tell you how much I want to join a pudding club...sounds like my idea of heaven on a plate!] The cricket bat and wicket are replicas of the ones used by the village team in 1731. The village it has the longest continuously running team in the country.


Jemima Puddle Ducks or Aylesbury ducks I believe they are correctly called. Mr GBT loves ducks nd so he was exceptionally merry when he spotted a whole waddle of them!


No I am none the wiser either with the particular sign!


A flint building and pretty shaped windows tick all the right boxes for me- here we have two for the price of one. Most chuffed.


I spotted this in the shop....the mouse and the hedgehogs are just so delightful!
Will natter a little more about our visit in the next postlet.

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marching on

 Well March is being a bit of a madam isn't she. One minute she's teasing us with blue skies and a sun with some warmth in it and th...