I just love finding out the origins of some of the everyday phrases we use which when you step back and really think about them frankly don't make a lot of sense. I've been saving these ones from the past few months until I had enough for a post's worth.
Frog in your throat
It was believed that if you gargoyled with dried frog mixed with white wine this would cure a throat infection.
Bootlegging
From the days of smuggling. Contraband was hidden down long boots- although the customs men would pat you down searching for goods they were unlikely to check your footwear.
Dutch Courage
Gin [then called Jenever] was supposedly invented as a cure all for ailments such as lumbago by Franciscus Sylvius and was sold as a medicine. Soldiers from the Low Countries took it to control their pre battle nerves and give them the courage to fight.
Top Dog and Under Dog
Both come from the positions the men had in the saw pit. The underdog was the poor fellow who stood in the pit beneath the log and got covered in sawdust.
Arilx
The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Wednesday, 22 July 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Madfabulous
It was a bit of an overcast rainy day [not surprising really as we were in Wales which is renowned for it] when we paid Plas Newydd House a ...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...

The origin of words and phrases fascinate me. I hadn't heard about the origin of Dutch courage before. I wish gin was still called jenever - a much nicer name!
ReplyDelete