Warning- if you suffer from koumpounophobia please look away now!
Working for a wide range of clients as I do in my capacity as a housesparkling elf it throws up many surprises. I am very lucky because they are a lovely bunch [I left the only person who I didn't like very quickly when they kept trying not to pay me!] and in turn, I try to be flexible by doing as much as possible within my remit. They expect a high standard of me and I do my absolute best to meet that but they also regularly misbehave and spoil me. I guess it's a case that when you have cleaned for the same people over a period of time [some I've now been with for three years when from when I first started up] you form a rapport with them.
A couple of weeks ago I was asked to help with some decluttering which is something I've done before for this lady. This time we sorted out her Granny's sewing box and she gave me these.
Inside were buttons. Many are regular ones removed thriftily from old clothes which have been added to my own small collection but contained within were also these more special ones. The booklet is a Victorian embroidery guide. I'm now thinking that some of the patterns have great potential for a dollshouse cross stitch rug.
Over the years I've had a go at making buttons a couple of times. These are the instructions for making wooden ones out of mistletoe from an uncopyrighted blog http://unboughtdelicacies.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/mistletoe-buttons.html I tried with some dried out buddleia dried stems but they split. Need to try them with a hard wood next time. I have also had a crack at making these Dorset buttons in the past- they are fiddly but very pretty http://www.craftstylish.com/item/42688/how-to-make-dorset-buttons/page/all With my new challenge starting shortly these may be skills worth resurrecting. I have formed a modest plan for an upcycle on a jumper I was given last year so if it's any good I shall share.
Arilx
The life and adventures of a mildly dotty old bird.
Sunday, 27 September 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Goosed
29th September is Michaelmas and was once the traditional day for hosting a goose fair. It also happened to be my birthday and this old goos...
-
Whoops, double whoops and thrice times whoops.....this returned home with me on Saturday. For a measly 350 pennies I could hardly leave it ...
-
Hello.... I've got a brief lull before my old school friend is arriving for supper so thought I'd just pop in. Our Christmas has th...
-
It might have been teeming down with rain on Tuesday in Battersea, but that wasn't going to dampen my spirits. Arty L and I were meetin...


I've made Dorset buttons. As you say, very fiddly, but definitely worth the effort.
ReplyDelete