Thursday, 5 June 2014

Frou Frou Fun

99% of the time when I make something it's with a practical purpose in mind. The remaining 1% is allocated to the creation of something fairly random that has just tickled my fancy. I am fortunate that I have a cracking set of chums who happily indulge my whims and join me. This time I had a hornet in my bonnet about having purple food dye and how did I justify its purchase...why by creating a need for coloured granulated sugar which I can sprinkle over cakes if the urge so takes me. Dear chum J was my willing assistant.


Should you wish to have a crack at recreating this marvel [snigger] then you need a quarter cup of sugar to which you mix a few drops of food colouring. Stir thoroughly with a fork or spoon to make sure that it is evenly distributed and then leave to air dry for 24 hours. Some online instructions suggest popping them in the oven at 350F for 8-10 mins. I tried at a lower temp for a much shorter time and they melted so I wouldn't recommend it.

You might just notice that our efforts weren't just restricted to purple. I already had the orange and red from making gel air fresheners last year but the others were on offer in Tesco two for £2 and I had a £1.50 voucher so I felt it would have been rude not to! Only yellow and black to amass now.

Linky here for the colours I used and some freebie baking booklets from Dr Oetker

http://www.oetker.co.uk/uk-en/our-products/home-baking/food-colours/product-range.html

Arilx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bushy Park

 My friend Arty L has spent most of her adult life in London and prior to Covid she was a nature lover, but preferred living in the city wit...